The 24th Annual Excellence in the Media & Newsmaker of the Year Awards Banquet is June 5, 2015, at the MCM Elegante Hotel.
The Excellence in Media Awards Ceremony is the time when those who write, report, photograph and broadcast the news are awarded for their talents over the past year. Likewise, members of the public relations field are lauded for their efforts.
<BUY TICKETS HERE NOW >
The Press Club of Southeast Texas receives hundreds of entries from individuals and media outlets from across the region, including print, electronic media, magazines/trade press and public relations categories. Those entries are sent to judges throughout the nation, who choose the winners.
< SPONSORSHIP OPPORTUNITIES AVAILABLE >
The annual event hosts local dignitaries and also recognizes the top area newsmakers from Southeast Texas. This year’s list of Newsmaker of the Year candidates were whittled down by a vote of the Press Club membership to include:
– The Beaumont ISD board of managers, appointed by the state education commissioner to clean up the troubled school district.
– Jennifer Daniels and Shawn Hare, organizers of Beaumont’s first PRIDE parade in support of LGBT rights.
– Earl Thomas III, former West Orange-Stark football player, current member of the Seattle Seahawks, sponsor of many local charity efforts.
– Raquel West, the first woman elected to a district court judgeship in Jefferson County, surviving a spirited primary, runoff and general election.
– Bob Wortham, who gave up a judge’s post to be elected Jefferson County district attorney, dominating a crowded ballot.
While all of these worthy candidates will be recognized for their work over the past year, only one will be selected as the 2014 Newsmaker of the Year by the Press Club of Southeast Texas.
Proceeds from the banquet fund The Press Club Memorial Scholarship at Lamar University dedicated to deceased journalists and awarded annually to students in communication, journalism, mass communications, advertising, public relations or related field.
Thank you in advance for your participation in the Excellence in Media event and support of the Press Club of Southeast Texas. We look forward to seeing you and your guests on June 5th.